Our Nasogastric (NG) Tube Insertion training course will ensure health and social care workers have the knowledge, understanding and skill to be able to provide evidenced based safe care for individuals requiring the blind insertion of a Nasogastric Tube at the bedside.
The course will consider the reasons why an individual may require a Nasogastric Tube inserted, the insertion and confirmation methods, feeding including bolus and continuous infusion pump feeding, medication administration techniques, daily care requirements, troubleshooting and complications.
Our NG Tube Insertion training course will ensure that you have supported your workforce to be able to provide evidenced based “SAFE” care to individuals you care and support for.
- Indications and contra indications for a Nasogastric tube
- Complications and Risks involved with a Nasogastric tube
- Ensuring lawful consent
- Blind bedside insertion of a fine bore Nasogastric Tube
- Confirmation testing
- The procedures for feeding and administering medications via an NG tube
- Recognising, dealing with and reporting complications
- Daily care requirements
- Procedures for effective mouth care
- Defensible documentation and record keeping
- Practical simulation
- Competency framework
On completion of our training course and self-study workbook, your staff will be able to:
- Define the term Nasogastric tube
- List the clinical indications and contraindications for a Nasogastric tube specifically relating to nutrition and feeding
- Describe the insertion procedures specific to the device being used
- Explain potential complications that might occur for a Nasogastric feeding
- Outline the care and management required for a Nasogastric tube
- Summarise the feed and medication administration techniques
- Demonstrate competence for the care and management of a Nasogastric Tube
Guardian Angels Training will provide the necessary competency proformas required to ensure safe and evidenced-based clinical practice following completion of our training courses. This will then allow the Registered Provider to ensure mandatory competency assessments are completed within the workplace by a nominated mentor/supervisor.
If you need further advice regarding competency assessments or if you would like our Registered Nurse Trainers to provide onsite competency assessments then please do contact us.