Our PEG feeding training course will familiarise health and social care workers with the essential knowledge, understanding and skill to be able to provide evidenced based safe care for individuals with a PEG.
The course will consider the reason and methods of PEG Feeding (Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy), including bolus and continuous infusion pump feeding, medication administration techniques, daily and weekly care requirements, troubleshooting and complications.
This is a vital course for any staff member who supports an individual with their PEG, ensuring they have sufficient knowledge to work safely with them and will provide evidence of providing “SAFE” care.
Please note: This PEG Feeding training course includes a practical session – we will supply a PEG machine for enteral feeding (Nutricia Flocare Infinity) and all associated equipment for staff to use, however if you have a specific machine you require training on you will need to provide access to it for the duration of the training course.
- The purpose of PEG tube feeding
- Conditions, Indications and contra indications for a PEG tube
- The procedures for feeding and administering medications via a PEG tube
- Recognising, dealing with and reporting complications
- Care and maintenance of PEG sites and enteral feeding tubes
- Procedures for effective mouth care
- Defensible documentation and record keeping
- Practical simulation
- Competency framework
On completion of our training course and self-study workbook, your staff will be able to:
- Define the term Gastrostomy tube
- List the clinical indications and contraindications for a Gastrostomy tube specifically relating to nutrition and feeding
- Describe the insertion and change procedures specific to the device being used
- Explain potential complications that might occur for a gastrostomy feeding
- Outline the care and management required for a Gastrostomy tube
- Summarise the feed and medication administration techniques
- Demonstrate competence for the care and management of a Gastrostomy Tube
Guardian Angels Training will provide the necessary competency proformas required to ensure safe and evidenced-based clinical practice following completion of our training courses. This will then allow the Registered Provider to ensure mandatory competency assessments are completed within the workplace by a nominated mentor/supervisor.
If you need further advice regarding competency assessments or if you would like our Registered Nurse Trainers to provide onsite competency assessments then please do contact us.