The "Extended Clinical Skills Training" course is designed to provide care home support workers with the knowledge and practical skills required to perform a range of extended clinical procedures and interventions. This course is suitable for healthcare workers who wish to deliver clinical skills previously undertaken by medical or nursing professionals in care home settings.
This list is by no means exhaustive, and only provides an overview of the modules available:
- Gastrostomy tube care and feeding
- Oral Suctioning
- Oxygen Administration
- Safe Use of the T34 / Bodyguard T Syringe Driver
- Stoma Care
- Urethral Catheterisation & Catheter Care
- Other modules as required (bespoke to local needs)
- Acquire advanced clinical skills: Develop in-depth knowledge and hands-on proficiency in a variety of extended clinical skills tailored to your specialty or area of practice.
- Enhance patient assessment techniques: Improve your ability to perform detailed and specialised patient assessments, considering a broader range of clinical indicators and variables.
- Develop critical thinking and decision-making: Strengthen your capacity to analyse complex clinical scenarios, prioritise interventions, and make informed decisions.
- Master specialised interventions: Gain expertise in a range of advanced procedures, interventions, and techniques relevant to your speciality, including invasive and non-invasive procedures.
- Address potential complications: Recognise possible complications associated with advanced procedures and interventions, and develop strategies for early detection and effective management.
- Ethical considerations and patient-centred care: Explore ethical issues related to advanced clinical practice, patient autonomy, and delivering care with empathy, respect, and dignity.
- Interdisciplinary collaboration: Understand the importance of teamwork and collaboration when performing extended clinical skills, working seamlessly with other healthcare professionals.
- Continuous professional development: Embrace a lifelong learning mindset, staying updated on advancements in your field and continually refining your clinical skills.
Assessment and Certification:
Participants will undergo practical skills assessments, written assessments, and scenario-based evaluations to evaluate their understanding and competence in various extended clinical skills. Participants will be required to be supervised and assessed within the local workplace as part of a competency assessment. Successful completion will lead to a certification of achievement in "Extended Clinical Skills Development."